Ready to roll!

9 Aug 2011

Sunday & Monday

Took Sunday off and decided to have an easy day and put our feet up on Scafell Pike! Hideous drive there up a road called Hardknott Pass. Jenny obviously wanted to make another dream come true for me as I have had similar nightmares of driving up such steep hills, that the car falls off them!  Hair pin bends, steep drops and blind summits, brilliant!
Stayed second night with Jean and Rod and then left Penrith Monday 7am to drive to Kendal and started from where I left off on Saturday.  Pretty flat to Lancaster and then directed the wrong way to find the Lancaster Canal, so took me a while to sort out. Canal was not tarmac the whole way and soon became grass or mud!  Still it was flat so continued about 35-40m. 8 herons seen. Also warned about 4 large rottweilers;  man said "Don't get off your bike"  Why not?  And "They won't touch you".  Each one ran straight at me!  Also got stung by a wasp. Funny Jenny said about covering my cycle helmets holes in case of this; this one went inside my glove.  A lucky escape, as very like when the dog got bitten by an adder, I'd just stopped for a wee!  Anyway, after sting, all other pains forgotten!
Canal finished at Preston and I followed Jenny out towards Wigan, finally both getting lost and giving up at 70miles.  Picked me up and took me to Warrington to stay the night at Steve's cousins.
(Jenny)
Roads liable to icing - good for confectionary trade I suppose! Just want to write: I have never got lost - but someone here can't map-read!!

No comments:

Post a Comment